Thursday, January 21, 2010

Expat Excitement

This is the second time I've lived abroad, and the longest, and I am firmly convinced that something strange happens to the wiring in your brain.

I've been to two expat shops in the last week, courtesy of an English friend of mine here. There's an Irish shop a few metro stops away, and an English shop just out of town. She was amused by my reactions in both - I went around squealing and gasping my appreciation at finding items I would never buy normally in the UK. Oh, the excitement at seeing clotted cream, Hovis flour and Cadbury's chocolate! I swear, I nearly fainted when I found the Battenberg and Cherry Bakewells. (He does make exceedingly good cakes, doesn't he?) They had Dip-Dabs, sherbert lemons and sour Skittles. It was like going back in time - I can't remember the last time I had a Dip-Dab, I used to eat them with my sister when we were wee things. (No liquorice toffees, though!)

I did of course spend far more than I should have done, which will result on some fairly strict budgeting for the next couple of weeks. I did get tahini, so I can have a go at making my own hummus soon. And Wensleydale cheese and some pickle, for sandwiches. (This country makes 80 different types of cheese, why am I buying Wensleydale??)

This is the thing. I only came back from England a couple of weeks ago, but it was like a starving man at a feast. Heinz spaghetti hoops in a tin - I ask you! What was I thinking?? It does strange things to your brain, does living abroad. Or perhaps it's just me?

1 comment:

  1. I can confirm that living abroad does, indeed, do strange things to your brain. Why do you think I am the way I am?? I once arrived at Gatwick and was excited about London's damp polluted air.

    Have I ever told you about my ~13th birthday? It was in Oman, I had a pool party - and it rained. And suddenly, 13 year old boys were running around with towels tied around their necks pretending to be super heros. I ask you.

    In addition to that overwhelming body of evidence, a certain A I know has been craving the weirdest of british things. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...