Saturday, June 2, 2012

Homemade shoe polish


So this week I had a go at making this from a recipe in my new book - it's just beeswax and olive oil melted together. One thing I learned by trial and error - it needs to be stirred while cooling, otherwise you get a layer of olive oil floating on top of a layer of solid beeswax.

Today I had a go. I did the right shoe of a pair of black court shoes and of a pair of brown boots - and it's come up a right treat! Chek 'em out:




It's worked particularly well on the brown boots - they look lovely! This treatment also helps to keep the shoes waterproof, and it's a lot easier to use than conventional shoe polish - I don't need different brushes for on and off, I don't need to put down newspaper and then clean up the bits of polish flying around. I just need a rag or cloth (I used a microfibre cloth for this) to rub in the polish and then buff it off. I think the leather of all the shoes is quite thirsty, so I may give it another treatment in a week or so.

All in all feeling pretty smug - it's homemade from completely natural ingredients (though not, unfortunately, locally sourced - the beeswax is shipped from the UK), stored in a recycled glass jar and will enable me to make shoes last longer before they need to be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...