Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I'm so excited about baking soda

I know, it's truly sad, isn't it? But this totally made my day!

The pot on the left is the baking soda I have been buying - 400ml for €3,19. On the right is my official new source of baking soda, at €1,65 for 500ml. Am I happy? Oh I am so happy. And it's so silly, but it's a cheaper source of baking soda, which I use for everything from washing my hair to cleaning the kitchen to brushing my teeth. It was totally accidental - I was looking for castile soap to make some homemade bubble bath...

If you're intrigued by the idea of using baking soda for more than just baking cakes, I suggest you check out this great post from A Thrifty Mrs on the many marvellous uses of baking soda. It's a great deodoriser, so good for cleaning out fridges, sprinkling into the base of your bin or soaking old socks and smelly shirt underarms in. It's fantastic for breaking down and removing grease - to clean an oven, make a thick paste of baking soda and water, smear on the inside of the oven, leave for a bit and wipe off with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised how much comes off!

Finally, the reaction between baking soda and an acid (like vinegar) is great for cleaning drains. Pour a load of baking soda down the drain, then dribble vinegar down (try to keep the level of fizz constant) until no more fizz, then wash it all down with a kettle of freshly boiling water. Works a treat on food grease in kitchen sinks, and on hair and soap residue in bathtubs.

For anyone trying to locate baking soda in Belgium, the one on the left is from Carrefour and the one on the right is from Di.

Coming up next week: the arrival of vitamin E oil and beeswax. Can you guess what I'm going to be a-making?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...