Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mince pie, anyone?

This evening was staff drinks at work and we're taking it in turns to introduce a national theme. Tonight it was the turn of the Brits, so there was ale, cider and pimms alongside scones, cheese and biscuits. My contribution was mince pies - in part because I still had quite a lot of mincemeat in the fridge.


After my - ahem - less than entirely successful first attempt before Christmas, I'd felt rather discouraged, but this time I used a different recipe - this one by Mary Berry - and it came out beautifully. The pastry was perfectly cooked with no soggy bottoms, and the cranberry jam and mincemeat went beautifully together. Definitely one to be repeated! And it was quite straightforward, no need to chill the pastry or anything.





They went down a treat - none left - and as I still have one more jar of mincemeat in the fridge, I might make another batch. I'm feeling quite proud of these - pastry is not my strength by a very long shot, so the successful avoidance of the soggy bottom is something I am rather pleased with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...