Sunday, February 2, 2014

There's so much time

When I first came to the concepts of simple living, slowing down and doing it yourself, I thought it would take a lot of time. Baking your own bread takes longer than buying it from the bakery, no? And so on across the board - we are exchanging our time for better quality, more ethical or more personalised products - food, clothes, household, leisure etc. 

This weekend has been very slow and simple - and yet I can't believe how much time I have. I keep looking at the clock incredulous that it is so early, that I can still do so many other things with my day.


Yesterday we had friends over to watch the rugby, so pretty much the whole afternoon was absorbed with drinking, eating, cheering and chatting. The morning was taken up with the weekly food shop. Yet somehow I had time to do a load of laundry, the week's ironing, some crochet, and make a pot of soup from leftover veggies from last week - with enough for me to take some into work next week.


Today, even after a lie-in and clearing up after yesterday, I have found time to make a batch of breakfast cereal, bake bread and prepare a pot of fruit salad for the week, in addition to tackling some paperwork. My boyfriend and I wandered around the local market (I picked up some yellow beetroot - a new discovery!) for a while, and later played a board game with a pot of tea. I've still had time to sit and read a book, to watch the skies turn orange, and to drink several cups of tea.


And now, I have plenty of time to sit down and work on this... A mystery? Ahah! All shall be revealed.

Where did all this time come from? What did I used to do before that took up so much time, and has since been dropped? I haven't been aiming to do anything, pushing myself to do more - just taking it slowly and savouring each activity. Where did the time come from?

6 comments:

  1. It is a mystery.People ask us how we manage to do so much. I don't know, we just get in and do it.We stay home a lot more than most as this is where we like to be.We don't shop for entertainment or do whatever other people do to entertain themselves. We potter around doing home stuff which we enjoy, and there's always enough time.I seems to me that your simple living experience is popping all over. It does get like that. The more of the simple living way of life you take on the more you want it in all aspects of your life until it just is your life. It's a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so perplexing. I never really used to go out much, always hated shopping and was never a big tv fan. I'm really not sure where the time went - I think I must have spent quite a lot of time just - killing time. Much more fun now!

      Delete
  2. I feel just the opposite. That there's never enough time. Writing or reading just make it all disappear so fast. The other day reading Wives and Daughters it went from 9.30 to 11.00 in the blink of an eye.

    And now it's Monday again :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flying is a sign that you are enjoying yourself. It's just a shame we can't make it the other way around - slow down the fun things and speed up the rest.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nickie, I just wanted to say hello. I've come over to visit from Rhonda's blog when she mentioned you a few weeks ago and I LOVE your blog. It's quickly gone into my 'must read' list. I live in Australia and am trying to simplify as much as possible: knitting, bread making, chickens, homemade cleaners etc, and I love reading about others doing to the same. I can't say I have lots of time though, as I have a son who is 15 months old and a second on the way! So I'll live vicariously through you with thoughts of quiet cups of tea and books :o)

    Keep up the lovely work. Sal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and letting me know you're here. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! Yes I can imagine with kids it's a helluva lot more challenging to fit all these extra tasks in, so I'm glad to help you out a little with some vivarious living. I'm dead jealous of the chickens, though.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...